Saturday, September 21, 2013

Penalties missed

Penalties are a GIFT.
Its a GOAL waiting to be scored.
But every week, we see Penalties being missed. Penalties are missed for variety of reasons (a) the goalkeeper moved before the shot is taken (b) the quality of the penalty taker or (c) a miss kick.
The underlying problem I feel, is that Clubs do not prepare adequately for this very important aspect of the game.
I have been surprised so many times to see that the penalty takers are midfield players or even defenders!!!
I mean why don't the strikers take the penalty kick all the time?
After all they are the ones who are supposed to have the necessary goal scoring skills.
The Managers must prepare players for this important - critical aspect of the game.
Today Norwich missed a penalty against Aston Villa and lost the game by a goal. If they had scored from the spot, they could have come away with a point.
A very costly mistake.
The other night Ajax could have had a goal against Barcelona at Camp Nou but they missed the penalty.
The sad story goes on and on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment